Thursday, March 8, 2012

Obsidian


The first edition looked like this (Kat
and Daemon)
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

Holey moley! I never could stand the show “The X-Files“ and it’s got the creepiest commercial music. Like ever! Aliens is not a theme I’ve been interested in and I’ve never considered about reading them. At least not until last week. I discovered this cool American writer Jennifer L. Armentrout, who’s written some awesome YA books. I’m happy I discovered them.

Armentrout has two series at the moment, one’s about the descendants of gods and it’s first book is called “Half-Blood“ and the secondd one, first book’s named “Obsidian“, is about aliens. I read the last one and I was positively suprised.

Kat (real name is Katy, but it seems childish, Kat’s a lot more feminine and reminds me of Katherine Pierce from “The Vampire Diaries“ who’s sexy as hell and sly as a fox) moves to a small town from Miami and lives with her mom. There are twins living the next door – Daemon and Dee. The girls get along pretty well and become really good friends, but it’s not something Daemon’s happy about. He’s quite angry about it actually. And there's something suspicious about the guy, too. Oh, did I mention already that he’s like this ideal guy? Dark hair, beautiful green eyes, broad sholders, very masculine and manly? The only thing ruining this perfection is his crappy personality. Kat and Daemon rub each other the wrong way all time, but in a weird way they both seem to enjoy it. It causes a lot of tension and feelings which both of them are denying.
The second edition (published in April, 2012)
looks like this, in my opinion, it's even
better this way
Anyway, Dee and Daemon are aliens. Kat’s not aware of this little fact. Neither does she know that she puts them, as well as their friends and herself, in danger. Also, in addition to these lovely creatures, there are bad aliens in town too, who are after Daemon’s and Dee’s (and their friends’) powers, oh, and they plan to kill them. I’ve already said too much, so I really cannot say anything else as much as I’d like to. The story is really, really consuming and I practically like all the characters. The fighting, sarcasm and attraction between Daemon and Kat is extremely funny and electrically exciting. 

I’m so looking forward to the sequel. Oh, in February, 21st to be excact, the prequel, “Shadows“, was published and as for now it’s only available as an e-book. It’s supposedly written from three points of views: Dawson, Bethany and Daemon. I recommend to read „Obsidian“ first, you’ll learn from there who’s Dawson and Bethany and anyway, it’s usually wiser to read books in the order of the publication. The sequel was supposed to be published in May, but it seems like it’s been moved to August. 


By the way, Jennifer L. Armentrout has her own blog, where she posts teasers from both of her series + from some other books she’s working on. Moreover, she publishes different information, recommends books, arranges some competitions and I think it’s pretty cool for an author to actively communicate with one’s fans. Sometimes she asks the opinion of her fans and writes scenes (which’ve been published in her books) from different POV’s, e.g. there are some scenes from Daemon’s POV as well as from Aiden’s (“Half-Blood“). Another author, who’s so active with her fans is Cassandra Clare (“The Mortal Instruments“  &  “The Infernal Devices“) and I, as a fan, enjoy it enormously. So check it out ;).

EDIT: Jennifer stated that there will be 2 more books in this series, how freaking awesome is that? :) Can't wait for them!

Rate: 4.5/5

Reading order:
  1. “Obsidian“
  2. “Onyx“ (August 14th 2012)
  3. "Opal" (2013) 
  4. TBA
  5. TBA

In addition:
“Shadows“ – a prequel “Obsidian“

No comments:

Post a Comment