Friday, November 2, 2012

Review: Losing It by Cora Carmack

Title: Losing It 
Author: Cora Carmack 
Published: October 15th 2012 
Add It: Goodreads 
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.

Honestly, my TBR pile is getting out of control and I feel like there are so many books I want to read and sometimes I feel guilty because quite often new releases out-shadow  some of the “old books” I want to read. However, every now and then there are books that I discover and feel the need to devour them immediately. This was exactly the case with Losing It. Its cover isn’t outstanding, it’s quite mediocre, but the description sucked me in as soon as I read it. I knew I needed to have this book in my hands ASAP. This will be a very joyful review, because I honestly haven’t got anything bad to say.

"How's your cat?"
"What cat? Oh! MY CAT. The cat... that is mine. Oh, she's..." I had said it was a she, right? "She's fine. All meowing and purring and other cat things."
God, why did the door have to be so far away?
I kept walking away, calling back my last few words over my shoulders.
"I've got to get to class. I'll see you Wednesday I guess, okay, bye!"

Characters. Bliss. I loved her personality and the moments that embarrassed her the most cracked me up like no other. Her dancing and doing things like getting a pet etc were so freaking adorable and lovable that if I were into girls, I’d push Garrick aside and take her on a date myself. So yeah, I think it’s established that I liked her character a lot.

Garrick is literally an Englishman in New York (and yes, I do love me some Sting! This song is just fabulous and should definitely be featured as one of the soundtrack songs considering what Garrick old Bliss about his school years back in the day) who likes to take risks even though he seems like a very calculated person at first sight. He goes after what he wants and doesn’t stop until he achieves his goals. Bliss’s friends were a bunch of fun, young, energetic people and I liked the group’s dynamic. If Garrick wasn’t Bliss’s teacher and they wouldn’t have to hide their feelings, he’d suit in nicely with them.

Plot. Downright enjoyed it! The description hints on a teacher-student relationship, but their age is almost the same and he was only a substitute for the real teacher, so it wasn’t that taboo if you’re worried about that. The plot wasn’t dragged out, moved on quickly and was easy to follow. One moment I was laughing so hard that tears were almost coming out of my eyes and the next my legs were jelly-o due to Garrick  aying the most incredible things to Bliss. Yeah, there were sad moments, but they weren’t devastating. The fun, beautiful and hilarious moments definitely dominated in this book.

My worry eased when he opened the door and said, "Oh thank God. I've been thinking about coming round to your place for over an hour, but I was afraid I'd knock on the door and you'd have people over or something."
I laughed.
"Maybe we should actually exchange numbers then."
He said, "Are you going to put me in your phone under some secret code name so that no one knows who I am when I text you dirty things?"
My eyes widened. "Are you planning to text me dirty things?"
His eyes danced with amusement and that blinding grin was back on his face. "I'm not ruling it out."
Oh.
Oh. My Nerves shot back up again.

If you’re looking for a fun, light and romantic read, give this book a chance. It will probably make you laugh and swoon within one paragraph. It was a joy to read this book and I don’t regret a single second spent on reading it.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Meet the author

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Okay, confession. I looked at that cover and went "nope" (I know, I suck), but your review has me reconsidering for sure! How mortifying it would be to walk into class and see your one night stand up at the front in a position of authority. I want to crawl in a hole and hide on her behalf! LOVE IT! Thanks so much for this recommendation Siiri, I was looking for something fun this weekend and I think this will work perfectly:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no problem, the cover pretty much sucks. I don't like it at all, it doesn't really say anything about this book, to be honest. It was such a joy to read, Bliss's awkward moments just made me giggle for minutes! Really, really enjoyed it :) If you decide to give this one a try, it's established that I'm looking forward to your thoughts ;)

      Delete