Thursday, December 27, 2012

Review: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Title: Hopeless
Author: Colleen Hoover
Published: December 17th 2012
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble 

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever. Recommended for readers 17+ due to sexual content, harsh language and heavy subject matter.

Let me start by saying that this year has been full of great reads and discovering new amazing authors. One of them was Colleen and her Slammed series. I’m beyond happy and ecstatic for her success and this is only the beginning of it. If you haven’t read about Layken Cohen and Will Cooper, then you most certainly must! Now on to Hopeless. There’re no words in this world to tell you how much I adored this devastating story. It’s dark, edgy, magical and romantic. I loved every single second of it! Oh, and this book had the best. freaking. first. (non-)kiss. everrrr!!!


Being adopted isn’t really a stigma I’ve ever had to overcome. I’ve never been embarrassed by it, ashamed of it, or felt the need to hide the fact. But the way Holder is looking at me right now, you would think I just told him I was born with a penis. He’s staring at me uncomfortably and it makes me fidget. “What? You’ve never met anyone who was adopted?”


The plot. It sure does feel like a hopeless story the more the spine of the story cracks, but you cannot help but root for Sky as she discovers things about herself that one couldn’t possibly begin to imagine. The story takes time to progress, but about 66% through, Colleen starts throwing these punches at you and you don’t know how to protect yourself from them. I figured out some of the plot twists and had my doubts, but in the end, I was taken aback by its cruelness, brutality and darkness. I didn’t think Colleen, always lovely and funny, had it in her, but I’m glad she chose to share Sky’s story with the rest of the world.

The characters. Sky. Where in the world did this girl come from? Where did you hide her all this time, Colleen?? I felt for this broken girl who wasn’t even aware that she had been taken into pieces in the first place. Now, with Holder, she’s discovering the deepest secrets of her past, her soul and she doesn’t know where to begin the healing process, because as soon as she begins to manage the drawbacks of the previous shocking reveal, another comes, completely out of nowhere, straight at her with a vengeance. And trust me these things were meaner than the queen bee in any high school! Which brings me to Breckin. I heart you!! Thank you, for keeping my girl safe and sound, painting a smile on her face when she needed it the most, being there for her.

Then we have Holder. Le sigh. I can assure you that Will is still my number one male lead that Colleen has created, but Holder sure made everything in his power to not be the runner-up. It wasn’t a fair competition, because Point of Retreat is probably one of the top five books I have ever read. Ever!! However, Holder with his stunning persona, attractive looks *aaaahh, them dimples!!!!*, secrets and protective stance over Sky made me swoon like a crazy person, haha. I adore that even though the main focus was about Sky’s growth and unlocking her past, we also got to see Holder develop as a person and heal some of his wounds that have hurt him for such a long time. (On a side note: I’m writing this review while my Dad is watching the 1/8 finals of European League in basketball and he is giving me evil glares, because I’m all giggles due to thinking about Holder). 


"And once again in my new world full of heartache and lies, this hopeless boy somehow finds a way to make me smile."


I wish I could quote the whole book to you, because every word was made of pure gold. It's a story you cannot put a price tag on, because it will haunt you for the longest time. The characters, especially Sky, are so easy to relate to and their sadness, happiness, goals and failures become a part of you in a way you wouldn't have imagined. I'm in awe of how beautiful, broken, dark and twisted this story is. I didn't expect anything from Colleen to be as good as her Slammed series, but this gives Slammed and Point of Retreat a run for their money. Whenever Sky felt like she couldn't breathe, I felt like the air was being knocked out of my lungs. She rarely cries, but when she did, I did too. Hopeless is enjoyable as well as devastating, but I wouldn't trade the minutes I spent on reading this book for anything. A definite recommend!

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Meet the author

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

9 comments:

  1. What an awesome review. I just finished Hopeless (in 24 hours) and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, Meghan! Such a roller coaster of emotions, isn't it? I'm so beyond happy that people are giving this book so much love.

      Delete
  2. Okay. We've talked about this Siiri. I need to read it. NEED TO READ IT! I want to be all giggly over Holder and his dimples:) I still need to read Slammed too. I fail at life. I'm going to buy them as I came into an amazon gift card or two for the holiday, so I'm going to be stocking up my kindle with much awesomeness. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!! YES, YES, YES, YES, YESSSS!! (Haha. I feel like Kevin McCallister from Home Alone while I'm saying this. Out loud, by the way;)) Hahahaha. Jenny, dear, you don't fail at life. You just read other great books while these babies haven't met your lovely personality yet:) But I'm glad you're going to read them! Even if you end up hating their guts (which I highly doubt), we can still have long discussions over them, yay!:)

      Delete
  3. Wow this one definitely sounds like one I need to read ASAP. I am loving these new adult, issue books. I just can't get enough of them. The guy sounds great and the girl sounds like she deals with everything as good as can be expected. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theheee! It'd be right up your alley, but since I know you have such a heavy reading schedule, it'll probably have to wait its time. BUT, whenever you do read it, I'm sure we'll have lots to talk about:) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Awesome review! I have this book on my kindle. I had to get it because I've seen all the glowing reviews on Goodreads. I know I'm going to need tons and tons of tissues when I read this book, but I'm ready. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandy! You HAVE to read it! It was uh-mazinggg!! And girl, definitely keep those tissues close, hehe;)

      Delete
  5. Amazing review! :)
    How much I love this book,it's fantastic,one of the best! :)

    ReplyDelete