Monday, July 1, 2013

Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Title: Slammed (Slammed #1)
Author: Colleen Hoover
Published: January 5th 2012
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.

I didn’t have reviews for this series and since This Girl just came out, I wanted to re-read ‘em for the 4th time. Yep, 4!! Yes, in all honesty, Colleen Hoover is one of my favorite authors and even though my heart wants to give Colleen’s first novel 5 stars, I can’t because Point of Retreat is better and since PoR deserves all the 5 stars in the world, I’m going with a 4. Anyhow, here’re my thoughts.

“Don't take life too seriously. Punch it in the face when it needs a good hit. Laugh at it.”

The story. Layken aka Lake moves away from Texas with her Mom and little brother Kel. She’s 18 and a high school student. Kel and Lake lost their Dad recently and now the Cohens are trying to start fresh. Opposite of them live Will Cooper, 21 at the time, and his little brother Caulder. Will asks Lake out and so it begins. Soon they discover a huge obstacle that will tear them apart. Lake will get devastating news about her Mother, deal with a broken heart and grow up sooner than she expected.

My emotions. With every re-read, it just get better and better. The poems, the tears, the emotions, the story – it’s just all so very good. Carving pumpkins, detention slips, that stupid gnome – I love everything about this story. The main thing I adore though is Lake’s growth, the bonds between family and friends and of course the slams. I have never been a particular fan of poetry, but these poems are so relatable and fresh that I cannot help but enjoy them.

I recommend these books to every contemporary fan out there. Seriously! You don’t know what you’re missing out on. Yes, Lake can be a bit stubborn at times and the back-and-forth with Will and Lake may be a bit confusing and infuriating, however, the story and the feelings are what make the book and Point of Retreat, the sequel, is ultimately one of the best books ever written. Plus, it’s from Will’s POV so yeah.. If you haven’t read Slammed yet, give it a try soon. Forever recommend!


Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Meet the author

Website Facebook Twitter Goodreads

8 comments:

  1. MUST READ THIS SERIES SIIRI! I've been hearing nothing but great things about it, and if you've read it 4 times already then I really need to find the time to read it once! I'm headed on vacation soon, so I'm thinking that will be a good time for me to read so many of these books I've just been talking about reading but haven't picked up yet:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to read this series. I have heard such amazing things about it. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read these ones. I am a little wary because of how Hopeless didn't work for me but these ones sound like they are a bit more up my alley so I will cross my fingers that they work for me a bit better! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I so have to read this one! I loved Hopeless and Colleen's writing just grabs me completely. If it's good enough to re-read I have to get my butt in gear and read it already! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really need to read one of Colleen's books! If she's one of your favorite authors, I must (at the very least) read one. I need to get on it :D Also, I love this cover re-do. I think the other one looked a lot different (or so I remember...maybe I'm wrong). But this cover is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I can't believe you've this book four times! I haven't even read them, though I do have the series, but I do have them in ebook and print. And Colleen gave me a copy of This Girl at Book Bash. You have me super excited to get started, Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear that its emotional and so good that you have reread so many times

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah! You read it 4 times! :O
    I need to read it again whenever I get some time. I loved this book so much too and like you said, it brings out all sorts of emotions! Colleen's writing is simple, but it has so much depth to it.
    And Will! <3 Just thinking about him makes me want to read the book right away!
    I haven't read This Girl yet, but I'm a little worried I won't like it because it's the same story told in Will's POV! :/
    Anyways, fabulous review! :)

    ReplyDelete